The process of wireless technologies diffusion to access Internet and in the communication between digital devices, carries a value of extraordinary importance, both for consumers and for companies and Public Administration.
The strong development of technology supports the creation of new models of communication business-to-business and business-user. Wifi in particular is experiencing a period of great development in terms of pervasiveness and all the studies agree in predicting that in the next few years Wifi will become the more pervasive wireless technology for applications sharing and medium range access.
Wifi will have also a virtuous convergence with proximity technologies (RFID, NFC and Zigbee), which are also spreading rapidly in the development of “Smart City” and “Internet of things”. The use of wireless technologies for the Internet access and the implementation of IP bandwidth transport backbones, allows to considerably reduce construction costs as it is no more necessary to perform difficult and expensive excavation work and/or wiring.
The wireless access, on the other hand, is the best mode for broadband services spread in both outdoor areas, devoid of suitable physical infrastructure, both within buildings and large infrastructures. Wireless access has also the advantage of allowing the supply of services with nomadicity characteristics. Radio systems broadband are therefore a good choice for alternative operators (lower costs and higher service), for Enterprise (extension of the intranet and communication at lower cost) and for Administrations (geographically extended Utilities).
Broad and robust wireless coverage is one of the key enabling factors for the development of many of the services that characterize the so-called “Smart Cities” and is also the most effective way to access collaboration in mobility services.
The natural combination of the Internet of Things, Smart Cities and Collaboration implies a new technological paradigm and social environment, in which people live in hybrid environments, physical and virtual, and are able to receive and exchange information anytime and through any device, thanks to the spread of broadband access, mobile technologies, RFID technologies and sensor networks.
By way of example, but not limited to, the main Smart Services that are spreading and often enabled by wireless WiFi infrastructures, complemented by other forms of wireless communication, are:
- Public Transport (tracking): monitoring of the position of public transportation to provide information to citizens about the estimated waiting times. The information is also used by the control room staff responsible for managing traffic light, in order to make the traffic moving and giving priority – if necessary – to public transportation.
- Waste collection (dumpsters identification): automatic RFID tags dumpsters identification by trucks equipped with readers and antennas, integrated with a tariff system based on the amount of produced waste in order to encourage recycling.
- Traffic and Roads management: recognition of car parked in the disabled parking area and permit to stay validation or removal activation in case of abuse, restricted (ZTL) traffic zone, advanced traffic lights control.
- Entertainment and tourist services: provision of informations on smartphones via QR code, with the aim of address and guide tourists to discover the artistic heritage.
- Public Metering: sensor monitoring of pits sewage flows and real-time transmission to gateways (placed at intermediate distances between the various pits), that forward information to the operations center.
Air pollution monitoring.
- Residential Metering: metering and management of electrical consumption, home automation, water and gas metering.
- Urban Security: Industrial Safety, Real-Time Surveillance
- Remote Health Care : telemedicine services deliver on “service centers” (eg. pharmacies, clinics, homes for the elderly, etc …), significantly reducing patients and/or medical specialists movements.
- Remote elders care: videostreaming medical and environmental patient monitoring, wireless clinical parameters collection.
- Stadiums and Sports facilities services
- Museum Services.
WiFi Wireless technologies, WiMax, Hiperlan, ZigBee, point-to-point point-to-multipoint Architectures, network planning and design, cell planning, operational processes, network management, technology and service center management.
|WiFi coverage with Hot Spot||Municipality of Imola, Resorts|
|HiperLAN2 PmP mode coverage||Imola, Casalfiumanese and Conselice municipalities|
|Fast Internet services||Residential and business customers|
|Hiperlan bachkhauling Radio links||Lepida Spa, Acantho Spa|